Grilled Cheese with Gouda, Arugula & Caramelized Onions
FEATURING SOURDOUGH BREAD #4108
Give our thin-sliced, hearty, sourdough bread a try next time you have a hankering for a sandwich. It makes a delicious carrier for grilled cheese and deli sandwiches.
- 2 slices of hearty sourdough or thick sliced Italian bread
- 2 slices of gouda cheese or smoked gouda
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion, julienned or thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Butter, unsalted at room temp, as needed
- 1 cup fresh baby arugula
- In a pan, sauté onion in the olive oil at medium heat. If the pan dries out, add a splash of water and continue cooking until they are soft and golden brown, but not dry. Set aside.
- Arrange each slice of bread with a slice of cheddar and gouda cheese.
- Add arugula and caramelized onions.
- Top with slice of bread and cheese.
- Butter the top, and place top side down on a hot griddle until golden brown and cheese begins to melt.
- Butter bottom bread and flip again to brown.
Make caramelized onions ahead to save time. This sandwich has a perfect balance of sour, spicy, richness and sweetness from all its components.