Classic Chili in a Cornbread Bowl
FEATURING CORNBREAD BOWL #2177
These delicious cornbread bowls can be filled with your favorite chili recipe, salad or breakfast item. They can also be used for desserts. Just add strawberries and a scoop of ice cream and you have a sweet treat.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 beef broth
- 1 10-oz can mild rotel tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 15-oz can red kidney beans
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a heavy pot, sweat onions and add ground beef to brown.
- Add spices and combine with sugar, tomato paste, garlic and beef broth.
- Bring to simmer, add rotel tomatoes and beans, season with salt and pepper, and cayenne if desired.
- Cover and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes at medium heat.
- Serve into cornbread bowls and top with shredded cheese, sliced jalapenos, oyster crackers or saltines if desired.